by Charmaine Ngatjuheue

NAMIBIA has reported its 11th case of a novel coronavirus infection, the health ministry confirmed on Saturday night.

Covid-19 committee focal person Bernard Haufiku confirmed three new cases to The Namibian, but stressed that a statement meant to be sent to the media had been released unethically earlier.

He said the patients were not informed of their positive test results prior to the document being leaked to the public.

In the statement, the health ministry said similar to the first eight cases of a positive test result for the coronacirus, the three new cases were also travel-related.

Case number nine involved a 35-year-old Namibian female who lives in South Africa and came to Namibia on 20 March. Her test result was reported positive on 27 March.

The 10th case is a 33-year-old Namibian female who travelled to Dubai, Ethiopia and Johannesburg during March.

She arrived back in Namibia on 17 March and visited a health facility on 26 March, and her coronavirus test result came out positive on Saturday.

The 11th case is a 69-year-old Namibian man who travelled to Johannesburg in South Africa and returned to Namibia on 12 March. He visited a health facility on 25 March and his test result came back positive on Saturday as well.

Arrangements to admit the new patients in isolation facilities are under way and the health ministry is following up with all contacts of the three persons to ensure proper quarantine and monitoring for symptoms, the ministry said in its statement.

There are still no known cases of local transmissions of the coronavirus in Namibia, and no Covid-19 deaths.

The health ministry is still trying to establish the whereabouts of the 69-year-old patient from Omaruru.

Share this