by Okeri Ngutjinazo
DEPUTY health minister Ester Muinjangue on Sunday evening announced that another six people have died in Namibia after being infected with the novel coronavirus.
With the six deaths included, the country has now recorded 52 fatalities linked to the coronavirus disease, Covid-19.
Muinjangue also announced that Namibia has recorded another 316 confirmed novel coronavirus infections, taking the country’s total number of infections with the virus to 5 854.
She added that 170 of the people newly confirmed to have contracted the virus are female and 146 male. The youngest is four months old and the oldest is aged 72 years.
Of the confirmed cases, 254 are from Windhoek, 12 from Swakopmund, ten from Walvis Bay, six each from Okahandja and Mariental, four each from Oshakati, Tsumeb, Rundu and Gobabis, three from Otjiwarongo, two each from Rehoboth and Keetmanshoop, and one each from Outapi, Eenhana, Oshikuku, Omuthiya and Omaruru.
“Today we record 49 new recoveries – 34 from Oshana, 10 from Hardap region, three from Omaheke region and one each from Otjozondjupa and Oshikoto regions,” Muinjangue also said.
Namibia has now recorded 5 854 confirmed novel coronavirus infections, 2 509 recoveries and 52 deaths linked to Covid-19.
There are seven people in a severe condition in hospital and eight in critical condition after they contracted the virus.
Out of the infections recorded, 207 are healthcare workers, with 136 of those from Khomas and 45 from Erongo, Muinjangue said.
A total number of 50 391 samples had been tested for the virus by Sunday.