by Taati Niilenge

ERONGO governor Neville Andre called a meeting with representatives from the Narraville on Saturday community to deliberate on the burial site for people who die from Covid-19.

Addressing the community, the governor apologised for the way proceedings had been handled. 

“We did things in line with the WHO rules and I understand that it is strange to all of us. We have a burial committee and we were supposed to consult with the community. I accept the blame personally and apologise. This is a first experience for all of us, and I hope we will learn together and help each other to pave the way,” he said. 

He was accompanied by representatives of the Walvis Bay municipality, ministry of health and social services, and the security cluster.

Community members who spoke at the meeting, said although they heard the explanations, they were still not happy. They stuck to their guns that they did not want the graveyard near their homes, and that the body that had already been buried there should be exhumed.

Although the burial was delayed by almost a week, while it is supposed to be within 45 hours, both parties (community and burial committee) decided to deliberate on the way forward. 

“As your governor, I heard what you have said. The burial will not continue right now. I need to meet five representatives so that we can deliberate on the way forward,” he said.

Community members will be notified of the outcome after the meeting.

Share this