Officials of the Electoral Commission of Namibia at a press conference in Windhoek on Saturday. Photo: Sakeus Iikela

SAKEUS IIKELA

OFFICIALS of the Electoral Commission of Namibia refused to answer media questions at a press conference called to brief the public on the progress of announcing election results.

ECN chairperson Notemba Tjipueja who announced the preliminary results for the presidential and National Assembly elections said the commission was experiencing delays with the process of collating the results from some constituencies due to the non-submission of all documentary proof required.

“Typically, the challenge being experienced relates to the failure of some returning officers to send all required documents to the central results management centre for the commission to satisfy itself with results as announced at respective constituencies,” she said.

Tjipueja did not clarify the alleged documentary proof. She however, went ahead with the announcement of the preliminary results.

The results show that so far incumbent Hage Geingob leading the race with 441 664 votes (56%) followed by independent candidate Panduleni Itula with 228 665 (29%) of the total votes cast with 117 constituencies confirmed. There are a total of 121 constituencies in the country.

Read more here: https://bit.ly/37Lzenf

Share this