by Luqman Cloete
THE Hardap region is on high alert after its first case of Covid-19 was confirmed by the health ministry on Thursday.
Governor Menthos April told a press conference at Mariental on Friday that surveillance teams are hard at work tracing contacts.
He revealed that 17 people who were identified as possible contacts were tested on Thursday, and 10 others more were to be tested on Friday.
The governor said all contacts had been placed under quarantine at the Hardap Resort owned by Namibia Wildlife Resorts near Mariental.
April said the Mariental High School pupil who tested positive for Covid-19 was also put in isolation.
He described the pupil’s condition as stable, adding that all those regarded as high risk contacts will be put under quarantine, while the others are being requested to self-quarantine at home.
April implored Mariental residents, and Hardap inhabitants at large to remain calm and to adhere to the state of emergency regulations.
“Please do not leave your homes unless it is necessary, and take all precautionary measures such as hand washing and social distancing,” he advised.
“It is also required from the region’s inhabitants that should there be a bereavement, a register be kept at the house of mourning, and owners make sure that details of every mourner who comes into the premises are recorded in the book,” he stated.
He also urged Hardap residents who had travelled internationally and have returned home to contact the following phone numbers; 081253096 and 063-245514.