by Ester Mbathera
A GROUP of disgruntled members of the public at Walvis Bay and Swakopmund plan to hold a demonstration against the extended travel ban on three towns in the Erongo region.
President Hage Geingob last week announced a further 31 days travel restriction to and from Walvis Bay, Swakopmund and Arandis in an effort to curb the further spread of the coronavirus.
According to the founding statement, Namibians United Against the Lockdown “the group was created to support any initiative against the new lockdown of the Erongo region, specifically or any other initiatives that have been launched or are to be launched against draconian Namibian Covid-19 laws.”
The group planned holding an awareness vehicle convoy drive yesterday and Saturday but yesterday’s event was called off. They planned converging at the Yanni Savva Police Station near Aphrodite Beach residential area.
The Erongo police have on several occasions warned the public against holding any demonstrations during the state of emergency.
Erongo police unit commander for community affairs inspector Ileni Shapumba, in an interview yesterday morning said motorists participating in the planned demonstration would be charged should there be a convoy of more than nine vehicles.
“In terms of the law they would be charged. We will charge them for that. They must anticipate that reaction from the security cluster. Secondly, the meeting point is a police station, it is not an assembly point for illegal activities,” said Shapumba.
He advised the group to express their opinion on different platforms other than breaking the law.