by Ndanki Kahiurika
THE Zambezi Waterfront Tourism Park at Katima Mulilo, which has been stuck in the starting blocks, has become a refuge for a group of 18 travellers who were quarantined there yesterday.
The multimillion-dollar park was shut down in 2016 amid corruption and inefficiency allegations that led to 68 job losses.
Zambezi governor Lawrence Sampofu confirmed the quarantine yesterday, saying the group consists of students who are studying in Zambia and Zimbabwe.
“The park has been closed for some time now, and since we had no place to quarantine them at, we asked for the park so we can use it at least,” said Sampofu.
He stressed that the region has no confirmed Covid-19 cases contrary to rumours that it does.
The group were quarantined, Sampofu said, in line with the regulations in place to quarantine everyone who comes into the country in order to curb the spread of the virus.
The governor said the group arrived there yesterday. One of the students, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they arrived at the Wenela border post at 17h45 on Wednesday, only to be told that the border had been closed.
“They told us that they could not let us in, so the bus took us back to Sesheke (Zambia’s border post) and we slept in the bus. It dropped us back at the border at around 09h30 yesterday. This is where we had to wait, in the sun, with no answers,” said the youth.
Another youth said they were stigmatised and made to feel like they were already infected with the virus even though they might not be.